Extension Educator, Winona County
We've seen the headlines linking spinach, sprouts, melons, or what-have-you with an e. coli outbreak. The impact of an outbreak on an individual farm and the industry in general is significant. Also, with the recent Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) legislation, and more scrutiny from buyers and the public, addressing food safety risks on the farm is becoming more important. This is especially true as more local producers are selling to co-ops, restaurants, grocery stores, farmers markets, and through CSAs. As a grower you might be wondering...
- When would I need a certification to sell fresh produce?
- How will FSMA affect my operation?
- How can I create a food safety plan for my farm?
To address these questions and provide more information regarding on-farm food safety, the UMN On-Farm GAPs Program http://safety.cfans.umn.edu/ and UMN Extension - Winona County, have put together a workshop for commercial produce growers. At this workshop, you will...
- Learn about GAPs, GAP Certification, and FSMA.
- See how Whitewater Gardens implements GAPs on their farm
- Practice writing risk assessment statements and standard operating procedures.
- Learn about additional resources available to you.
Location: Whitewater Gardens, Altura, MN
Date/Time: June 26th, 9 am to 4 pm
Cost: $15 (Includes lunch and refreshments)
For more info and to register, visit the registration page:
We hope to see you there!