I’ve been preparing and holding local field days this week and time is at a premium. So, I have an abbreviated newsletter. The field days are nutrient management focused, soils are on my mind and so I’ve got a soils-focused Farmbyte for you.
Also, there’s a fantastic grant opportunity from the MN Department of Ag that comes around annually, I think many of you could benefit from the grant.
Soils: Sampling and nutrient guidelines
In this Farmbyte, we share…
- A video on soil sampling procedure
- Nutrient guidelines for fruit, vegetables, row crops and small grains
- Article on how to maintain soil fertility in organic fruit and vegetable systems
- USDA Web Soil Survey
MN Department of Agriculture's Value Added Grant program
From their website...
- Individuals (farmers) or businesses
- Agricultural cooperatives
- Local government entities
What can you use the money for?
- Equipment purchase or physical improvements to intended to support businesses that will:
- Start, expand, or update livestock product processing
- Purchase equipment to start, upgrade, or modernize value-added businesses
- Increase the use and processing of MN Ag products (required for all grants)
- Purchase equipment or facility improvement to increase food safety
- Increase farmers' processing and aggregating capacity to sell to schools, hospitals, or other institutions
Maximum grant award is $150,000, minimum is $1000.
For more information, visit the MDA website.
That’s all for this week, have a great weekend!
P.S. Feel free to share this using the options at the top of this page.
Additional resourcesUMN Extension Crops Website & Calendar of Events